AXES AND SHOVELS
Those are not my mine, deep scars on the face of destiny
Every verses be it satanic or holy –
A jewel adorably been close to my chest
In a feathered cup like my own breath.
While on the dusty way, when my shadow pursues me
And there in the midst of the thoroughfare
A gruesome moment awaits and thrashed upon
Breaks all the ties of a rope that swings the sally.
Those are not mine, bereft of wisdom and wine
Each spell cast a thunder be it fun or ruin-
A sublime path forces upwards, past the shroud of clouds
Beneath all eyes are shut -sleepy and in dream.
Before the vast expanse, when waves twirls forward
And every silent heart dips into, waits for an upward surge
The last foam dies alone miserably across the shore
Where warm sand snugs and beckons the venturous large.
Those are not my mine, votive tears that sprinkle down
A surface wet of salty waters, all the smiles run
Needles prick desperately in the charm
When illness and poverty makes a cruel fun.
At the onset of winter, the northern light shone
Every speck of blue, the clouds become unfamiliar
And the spirits go high, glides with the drifting birds
All our dear eyes, rages the cold glaciers.
Those are not mine, in the piles of dust and dirt
A pillow tattered entrails of which almost ripped apart
All the softness it carries lost in the beauty of mud
My memory rings awhile, I bow down my damn head.
If a storm raises, the dust of faraway lands
Be piled up and there in the distance, stands alone
A festival of silence, all my woes are gone
The incessant blows of shovel and axes surounds.
amitav mazumdar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (AXES AND SHOVELS by amitav mazumdar )
- Dilemma, Gillian Commerford
- Living, Gillian Commerford
- सानसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Square, Frank Avon
- Shelling Peas on Boulders Beach [for my .., Gillian Commerford
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
- King One - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- दिनैनि सानरेबाव, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)