A rough rain falls on the river running as a
fisher casts over tainted water, and
Black blood burns as the wars are raging and the
soldiers argue who’s hell is hotter.
Strange ghosts Earth can’t recognize, in the
fields littered with those who’ve fallen,
I see my cold reflection in their bright eyes.
A worker strains from the line he’s towing and
this stale air with the Devil we breathe,
A father falls as the guns go mowing, an echo
in the street when the church bell rings.
Billboards bury nightless skies, in their
shadows I stumble past an unwashed child,
I find the world's solace shining in her bright eyes.
A mother wails as the air is pounding and the
sound of fire in the distant town, where
A sad clock creeps over the horizon glowing,
old faces crumble from souls grown bare,
Waiting for death and their hell to rise.
Stray dog plays in a sacred river, as I kneel to drink,
And stares right through with his bright eyes
A marketplace crowded with the people talking,
come here to worship the world they’ve built and
Their voices I hear but none are speaking, the words
drowned out by the blood we’ve spilt.
Light cracks the tired church filled with lies, as a
ripe-bellied mother walks up the aisle,
I smell her youth and pray to the hope I see in her bright eyes….
R.L. Ohlhausen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beautiful Destruction by R.L. Ohlhausen )
- Paralysis Agitans, Steve Lang
- Think Me On That Train, Susan Lacovara
- Lovers, Tex T Sarnie
- The Big Picture, Tex T Sarnie
- You fill me, hasmukh amathalal
- I stashed my life, Aftab Alam
- the right self, RIC S. BASTASA
- Am I different?, gajanan mishra
- Drops on Earth, binod bastola
- On Her Bed She Lay, White Lily
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900)