Before God`s grace
After a mournful funeral
My soul was summoned before God`s throne
Bewildered, abject and all alone
uncertain of my sins to be atoned.
God unveiled in harsh rhymes
All my guiltless crimes.
So Mr. John
You claimed that sin is nothing but ignorance
Followed that old fellow of Renaissance*.
'What I revealed unto Mortal minds
Are desperate thoughts of Hearts' confined,
Those sacred letters to you were hoaxed
Just for 'gentles' to coax'.
You'r blamed from a Satan`s clan,
And was found rude upon my Holy men.
You have had an evil spirit, John
So was vexed, weird and wan.
I, John as humble as dust
Raised and phrased like thus:
'Almighty! I had never lost faith in you
Let me confess what was true;
You made me born free
But was enchained by heaven's decree,
I wished to say my heart
But my lips were sealed and soul apart.
You said my laws are unchanged
But thy blessed One made them estranged.
If those were not suited me so
Should not be taken them as low?
Those were not thy Holy words, My lord;
Revealed unto mortal souls,
But some evil in disguise sacked it whole.
Thus my anguish spake in my silly rhymes
And I was ranked with the old Faustus prime.
Ah! thy true love was taken as crime'
Mercifully gracious O my Lord
Unveil thy Mercy and grace sublime
Beyond every space and time'.
gulsher JOHN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
three things that shape man`s mind, culture and religion i.e. First instinct,2nd is emotions and 3r. Is his intellect; theses three stimuli lead him to either catastrophe or bliss.
little bit twisted the Faustus' theme.
Comments about this poem (Before God`s grace by gulsher JOHN )
- Couture, Mark Doty
- Muse & Drudge [just as I am I come], Harryette Mullen
- When Clouds Thunder, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Beauty Supply, Lee Ann Brown
- Suffering the Unattainable, David Dodd Lee
- Nature and Its Simple ways, Rohit Sapra
- Snowy Owl Goddess, Diane Wakoski
- Much Tattooed Sailor Aboard USS New Jersey, Jehanne Dubrow
- The Ruined Church, David Lewis Paget
- Farewell, Damir Lemaic
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- November, Thomas Hood
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)