Before I am dead!
waking up drenched in sweat
realizing it’s nothing but a nightmare
I get up to drink a glass of water
to drown the fear that woke me up!
sins I have done plenty
I do not know if the good I did is enough
to grant me a passage to heaven
or worse, born again as human;
never cared for what people thought,
never worried about those who left,
never a minute I spent crying over split milk,
what had to happen, had to happen!
what I was yesterday is what I am today,
yet people think I have changed, I wonder why!
I take life as it comes
no expectations and no demands!
with the guillotine waiting at every step,
uncertainty looms large over tomorrow,
I fear I need to live every moment
of today before I am dead!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Before I am dead! by Vanessa Hernandez )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Inner nightmare, iluneos periform
- Light, Isaac Maliya
- Trapped in a dewy glistening web, Mark Heathcote
- Three Days Before Christmas, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland
- A Journey in a Winter Morning, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Uninvited Guests, Tony Adah
- I Am Not Evil, Michael P. McParland
- Great Black Spectre, Michael P. McParland