devon da poet
Before the sprinklers came on
What were you before the sprinklers came on?
Were you not happy, or rather overwhelmed?
Were you not in laughter, in peace and in joy?
What were you before you were all wet in the lawn?
Were you not loved, adored and cared for?
Were you not cherished, respected and preferred?
When again will your heart ever jitter with speed?
Whenever will you quiver and shiver the way that you did?
You had the world in your hands, everything you would've ever needed,
But you never took heed.
Have you ever been desolate? Have you ever been in solitude and despair?
Were you ever sad or have ever felt hurt or betrayed?
Let me know if those gorgeous eyes have ever cried any tears!
Tell me if those beautiful cheeks of yours were ever in frown!
Haven’t you always worn a smile, thus exhibiting the dimples thereof?
O my, o my, they’re no more to think off.
Soaked and wet, when the sprinklers came on,
You never knew it would've been your turn.
You’re now searching for somewhere to turn,
But I’m afraid there’s no one else to lean on!
You leap toward the stars but fell in the river,
You may love me today but forgiveness isn’t always clever.
I said I’ll always be there for you but I’m afraid that’s no longer true.
You cannot keep hurting someone and expect them to continue loving you.
devon da poet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Before the sprinklers came on by devon da poet )
- Prohibited passions, Luca Menin
- When Life Turns Topsyturvy, Toshie Nohara
- Oneiros, Don Prem Legaspi
- Ah, me!, Frank Avon
- The man and the mirror, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Restive journey away from home, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Paralysis Agitans, Steve Lang
- Think Me On That Train, Susan Lacovara
- Lovers, Tex T Sarnie
- The Big Picture, Tex T Sarnie
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Suryakant Tripathi 'Nirala'
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)