devon da poet
Before the sprinklers came on
What were you before the sprinklers came on?
Were you not happy, or rather overwhelmed?
Were you not in laughter, in peace and in joy?
What were you before you were all wet in the lawn?
Were you not loved, adored and cared for?
Were you not cherished, respected and preferred?
When again will your heart ever jitter with speed?
Whenever will you quiver and shiver the way that you did?
You had the world in your hands, everything you would've ever needed,
But you never took heed.
Have you ever been desolate? Have you ever been in solitude and despair?
Were you ever sad or have ever felt hurt or betrayed?
Let me know if those gorgeous eyes have ever cried any tears!
Tell me if those beautiful cheeks of yours were ever in frown!
Haven’t you always worn a smile, thus exhibiting the dimples thereof?
O my, o my, they’re no more to think off.
Soaked and wet, when the sprinklers came on,
You never knew it would've been your turn.
You’re now searching for somewhere to turn,
But I’m afraid there’s no one else to lean on!
You leap toward the stars but fell in the river,
You may love me today but forgiveness isn’t always clever.
I said I’ll always be there for you but I’m afraid that’s no longer true.
You cannot keep hurting someone and expect them to continue loving you.
devon da poet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Before the sprinklers came on by devon da poet )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 July 1849 – 19 November 1887)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 9 - 1937)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Bologna: A Poem About Gold, James Arlington Wright
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- ETC3, shuvo chakraborty
- SONNET II, Sir Toby Moses
- Tamil on decline, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- A Life-Lesson, Luo Zhihai
- The Sunprincess, Akhtar Jawad
- Movement incidental, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Before Storm, Luo Zhihai
- Fate rules the outcome., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Cheap labor, Nassy Fesharaki
- Feed the ego, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.