Behind The Enemy Lines
Do you even know why you are fighting for?
But still your guns will roar.
Can you feel those times when mother sacrifice their sons for a war that's a foul,
As you lay their tender bodies in graves, watch her sing lullaby to calm her soul.
Watch those sisters snuggle to her brother's gifted doll,
See it fall, as death embraces her brother and reveals its role.
Those wives sending their men away, with a hope of forever,
But as he dies, watch her cry out "come back! There are still many dreams we've yet to build. Together! "
Those shattered dreams of a child as she watches her mother, hiding as she cries,
That feeling when her little heart knows her hero won't return as he has tasted fire behind the enemy lines.
Can you feel that agony of a friend who watches his mate, shot, or turning into a human torch?
And like hurricane outside the glass,
Everything you retch will bury in the past.
But with all we have lost, have we really won?
The country, in the end, has gained a treasure that everyone reared,
A treasure of tears
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Behind The Enemy Lines by shreya nair )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Daytime shooting star, Kayla Daley
- Yin yang tattoo Tanka, Kayla Daley
- Rain, Jordy lustig
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah