She became an octogenarian in March of this year
Belinda is eighty a lovely old dear
She plays bowls she's a member of the bowling club
And she even sometimes drops in for a beer at the pub.
Though she has had her lovers that she does not deny
As a spinster she lives and as a spinster she'll die
You ask her is she too old for lovemaking and she will tell you no way
Not too old for sex though I look old and gray.
Her last lover Andy twenty years younger than she
A few months ago they parted company
He has gone back to live with his younger ex wife
About that she only does say 'such is life'
The life of the party she loves to dance and sing
And life she says is such a wonderful thing
We only live once she says and of life make the most
And to life each day we should drink a toast.
Belinda is eighty but she feels young at heart
And in life she never plays the old person's part
She plays bowls and is a member of the bowling Club
And she even drops in for a drink at the pub.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Belinda by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- At That Moment All Ugliness was Undone., Akhtar Jawad
- I Do Not Know Your Name, Elia Michael
- Poor Birds of Cage, Pius Didier
- Christmas Differences, Melissa Furey
- Celebration, Shruti Goswami
- Leave Behind, Shruti Goswami
- Unceremonious, Shruti Goswami
- Restful Nights, Margaret Moran
- Qwerty, Edward Kofi Louis
- Watch over The Laws, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)