This moment won't last forever
I know it well. I feel it fading.
It rushes through my fingers like grains of sand;
But, I enjoy the sensation.
A beginning cannot be celebrated
without an end, and
A life cannot be cherished,
unless it it lived.
That is why I treasure them.
This moment, and,
all the moments we have together.
I don't think I would love you as much
without the setting of a thousand hours,
hours we spent with one another,
hanging like a starry backdrop,
behind your head.
All this time, has embossed you onto my heart.
Pressed down like a stamp, gradual but essential.
Now, you are part of who I am.
And so is this time, together, right now.
I know this moment wont last forever, but-
That is what makes it special.
Elizabeth Shield's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beloved Hourglass by Elizabeth Shield )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS, Eugene W. Miller
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- 'Tis a Somewhat Sad Christmas!, Dr John Celes
- Let me observe carefully, gajanan mishra
- Waiting, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Thank all and smile, hasmukh amathalal
- O my Lord, gajanan mishra
- The Day Is Gone, And All Its Sweets Are .., Luo Zhihai
- Picturing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flag of peace, gajanan mishra
- Changing Positions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Elevated Insight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak