"A standard by which something can be measured or judged, "
When on that premise under no circumstance will you budge,
Measured according to certain standards in order to compare,
However, not by just arriving first class but to keep you there.
Elevation used as a reference point in observations and surveys,
While determining an avenue to approach in the strongest way,
Upon the pinnacle of success only seen from a mountain peak,
Where the air is so thin only Eagles will dare to rest their beak.
Alignment according to specifications so as to vastly improve,
Comparable accountability and it contemplates the right move,
Whereas, the fork in the road has now become a one way street,
No one can launch a surprise attack face to face you must meet.
The student learns from the teacher and not the other way around,
Those who raise the bar may only do so standing on solid ground,
An Eagle spots a dime a hundred yards away from an aerial view,
While a sermon is preached from the pulpit and not from the pew.
A Hall Of Fame requires credentials far and above all of the rest,
Ah, what foundation would be stable if it accepted anything less?
There should always be a comparison test to let everybody know,
Taste difference between cream & milk like the Pro's & the Joe's.
In a fierce battle or an immense struggle cream will rise to the top,
There is no such thing as stuck in the middle, you quit or you stopped,
Wars are fought on the battlefield, not at the beach, nor in the park,
Whether you lead or follow make sure victory sets the, 'Benchmark.'
Luke Easter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('Benchmark' by Luke Easter )
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(1644 - 1694)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Died Eagle, Nassy Fesharaki
- Calm Days'll Arrive, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Aches Of Mermen, Naveed Akram
- Wash Out, Tina Chan
- Lucid Awake Changing Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Never Easy To Make, Tina Chan
- Sorry, Tina Chan
- Let us go, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- ~Hell On Earth Is Art In Heaven~, E Nigma
- BABIES LOVE, Christina Sunrise