A man sat alone, upon the stone,
And his sight he casted upon the sea.
Far, far behind this lies his home.
His eyes were gloom, the dreariest I ever seen;
-Dead like a haunted cemetery at midnight.
His cold decorum can put birds to flight.
He was silent with the waves that teased his thoughts.
Back and forth the shore they swayed him thus.
But there; still he sat. O! How still he sat,
Even when the wind blew away his hat.
He did not shake, a sound he did not make.
Not when the tides raised, his peace to take.
He sat there alone, upon the stone.
Gazing at the sea that drowned his home;
Gazing at the sea that drowned his wife.
okoye charles's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bereft by okoye charles )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(21 July 1899 - 2 July 1961)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- My Classroom, shivani pillai
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Remember, Christina Georgina Rossetti
Poem of the Day
- A New Year, Electric Lady
- Antique., RAJ VIKRAM
- Belated', george albot
- Moment, Stratis Havarti
- NDFB, Pankazz koirala Upadhayaya
- Youth is remembered, hasmukh amathalal
- Fidelity, RAJ VIKRAM
- आलम दुसरा था.aalam dusraa thaa, hasmukh amathalal
- Fabrication of Success, Breanni McDuffey
- No base, hasmukh amathalal