it's true, a cup can hold no more than
nor mortal vision see beyond
nor mind a thought may frame or grasp
that lies outside it's ken.
nor man, a god perceive beyond
the measurement of man.
a bowl can only be so full,
until no more contained;
it overflows it's boundaries
so that just a cup remains.
what of the flute? consider...
it's body riddled full of holes;
yet who can set a limit on
the melodies it holds?
could not we, like a flute be held
by the blessed piper's hands.
ourselves had never planned?
could not a notion, or a thought
be briefly entertained;
that, like the piper's breath, flows through
not meant to be contained?
yet meanwhile leaves it's subtle voice
to linger in the air,
and memories of the song
what time the song's no longer there?
perhaps this mortal span of years,
these mortal eyes and such,
are like the flute, an instrument,
surrendered to the touch
of something, - god or otherwise-
perhaps we thus transcend
the limits that a cup defines;
the boundaries of man.
moon batchelder's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Beyond Measurement by moon batchelder )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- if i find a dumpster and become homeless.., Mandolyn ...
- Cinderella's Table Cloth, mary douglas
- Mother Culture's Lullbye - The Culling S.., Joseph DeMarco
- A Parody, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Prayer for the lost., David Lessard
- UGLY AGGRESSORS معتدون قبيحون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- SANDY AND MUSHMISH (THEY USED TO BE MY L.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Scarecrow Not Quite Dissolving By Orange.., mary douglas
- WHO ARE WE? من نحن ؟, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- We Complain, Sandra Feldman