M.D Dinesh Nair
BIDDING ADIEU TO NELSON MANDELA
art a star
now eclipsed for ever
And thou hath ever illuminated
That part of a land dark and
Thou emitted thy rays
Of a non racial fight dauntless
Across the clouds of relentless
Tyranny and unrest now
Lying almost fallen dead.
And thou art Nelson Mandela.
A man to the core
And a leader for a milieu
Thou were, dear Soul.
Oh! skies and plains
Of South Africa redeemed,
Unto the heights of
Thy glory unfounded once
There raved a wind
Of times fine and thoughtful.
Oh! streets and inlets
Of South Africa revived,
Upon the hearts
Of thy divides and frost
There walked a man
Like a lightening or a fiery.
And that was Nelson Mandela.
A face that cannot fade
And an African icon of all times
He was and we know it well.
Oh! South Africa,
Weep not and grieve not
But just leave a sigh and that`s all.
Oh! South Africa,
Have him in your minds and deeds
And never throw him into
An oblivion mysterious
Like we Indians have done
With our Gandhiji
[Once your messiah too]
Who might still be there
In your hearts white
Still living and living!
Note: Even after 24 hours of Mandela`s death I have noted that none of
the popular South African poets on the P.H have written any poem on
him.I think writing a poem is perhaps not important for them and what I
have done is just an Indian practice in demonstration. But I wish if a
South African too had written a small piece...
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Mandela [1918-2013] has kicked his bucket. His legacy is that he expanded
human freedom.His greatest achievement is surely the creation of a
democratic, nonracial South Africa and preventing that beautiful country
from falling into a terrible, bloody civil war. May he remain in our
memory for ever.
Comments about this poem (BIDDING ADIEU TO NELSON MANDELA by M.D Dinesh Nair )
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Will Love You Forever, I Love My Wife Forever
- '' Death Can't Be Undone '', bri mar
- English Words, V. K. Gokak
Poem of the Day
- I Miss You 4, Michael P. McParland
- Dance of the Marionette, Raymond A. Foss
- I Miss You 3, Michael P. McParland
- windmill hill, lee fones
- I Miss You 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Daughter at 14, Christmas Dance, 1981, Maria Mazziotti Gillan
- I Miss You, Michael P. McParland
- Life at peril, hasmukh amathalal
- Christmas Greeting, Clive Blake
- Duality!, SALINI NAIR