Got up today and was feeling so gay
Then remembered I had a lot of bills to pay.
All of a sudden I wasn't so sunny
Because I was completely out of money
And the credit cards are never fair
When they've got you by that old short hair.
With the late fee and the interest,
They cut you no slack,
They'll take the skin right offen your back.
It keeps adding up more every day,
The total amount you'll have to pay.
Pretty soon it's 'Take the house and the car, '
I never meant it to go this far.
So now I'm bankrupt, but what do I care?
I've still got my life and some beer to spare.
These companies they take all the gravy,
Guess I'll have to rejoin the Navy.
Three squares a day is what you're fed
And a hammock to rest your weary head
And it satisfies the need to roam
For those of us who can't stay home.
When I re-upped I had the notion
That I'd see more than just the ocean
But here's a tip that you can use,
You'll see a lot more cruise than booze.
No more do they give a tot of rum to thee
To keep the crew from a mut-i-nee.
It's sail on and on into the sea
No matter how high the waves may be.
So it's join the Navy to see the sea
What a true saying that's got to be.
But I guess I'm OK in this situation
It won't be all a grand vacation,
But, at least, it's a way to serve my nation
And maybe a way to beat inflation.
George Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bills by George Hunter )
- I Did Not Know, Jerome Chukwuemeka Edwin
- Simply Spoken Life, Heather Burns
- Did You Ever Love Me, Peter S. Quinn
- On To the Night, Peter S. Quinn
- Haiku...Highway Heart Race, Ken e Hall
- Guaman Poma, Nassy Fesharaki
- Suicide, Mitzie Holstein
- Dedicated To You, Robin Williams-Suicide, Mitzie Holstein
- ....... .. Gun Control Is As Easy As This, Is It Poetry
- We have right, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am Waiting, Lawrence Ferlinghetti
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)