A sleek, black cat sat there in my path;
He soon wound himself round my calves.
I had never encountered the cat before,
But he was not shy - that was for sure!
Eager to give and receive some affection,
He soon happily headed in my direction.
To be my friend, he seemed really keen –
This lean, mean, little killing machine.
Between us both, there was an instant bond;
Of my new found friend, I felt really fond.
His coat was smooth, with a lovely shine.
His movements were fluid, just like wine.
His liquid gold eyes looked up into mine:
Of our impending friendship, this was a sign.
From deep inside, there came a loud purr,
And he totally ignored any passing bird.
He rolled on the ground upon his back:
Of false affection, there was no lack;
For anyone else, he’d have done the same –
Whether or not they knew of his name.
If he could have had his way,
He’d have kept me there all of the day.
But I had an appointment and had to go -
That I see him again, I really hope so.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Black Cat by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- Hitler: A Life Immersed in Hypocrisy, Paul Hartal
- Creative Interests, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Villanelle: No curse worse than the plac.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Sense Of Fulfillment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- here workin' for hugs on Christmas eve, Bull Hawking
- Poetry of the Stars, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- The Song of Krishna, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- My Christmas Wishes, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- What a Concept is this Love, Shahrokh Sharifrazy
- Sri Ramakrishna (1836 - 1886), Tushar Ray