devon da poet
Black History Month
It's no history that I'm black
'Cause black lasts forever
Bob Marley, Lucky Dube,
Marcus Garvey, Luther King Jr.
Black genesis, black future
Even Solomon was black
So why then should i dilute my colour?
Black hair, dark complexion
It's the pigment in my skin.
Lacks fear and indignation
True blacks don't give in to intimidation
As brave and as strong as kunta kinte
Me nah forget me 'Roots'
i'm an african born
My fore parents' came from Eden
A black man that's what i am
A Zulu, a Yaaku,
An Unga, a Tonga,
A Swahili, a Mulonga,
I'm a Nelson Mandela,
A Jacob Tutu,
A Barrack Obama,
A Crefflo Dallar.
Our history, our music,
Culture, food, traditions
Big drums and conch shells.
I'm an athlete!
An Asafa Powel,
A Usain Bolt,
A kirani James,
A David Rushida.
This is our month, our time, our moment
To display what our legacy says,
To showcase our talent,
To stand up bravely for justice and honour,
To register, to minister, to deliver.
A time when all black eyes will be open from their blindness
And see the light of success
Flowing through the scleras.
A time when black hands will reach out in aid to the whites.
A time when black feet will tour the world and share good tidings.
A time when black minds will be transformed and liberalized from mental slavery.
In that time indeed will I celebrate black history.
devon da poet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Black History Month by devon da poet )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
Poem of the Day
- Fred Claus Got It Right, Mr. Nobody
- Taron, Pariyon Ke Desh Meri Chandramukhi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Chandramukhi, I Haven't Seen You For So .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Becoming An Essence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Chosen Path, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I've Killed, Mr. Nobody
- Treasuring Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flair, douglas scotney
- Feel the pain, gajanan mishra
- Inhaling Breaths Of Words, RoseAnn V. Shawiak