Blood Has Its Colours
When I make a provocative statement
My backers cover it up:
We haven't seen it yet (OR)
Don't read it out of context
When you make a similar utterance
My comrades threaten:
Either you apologise
Or we'll hang you
When I wreak terror
And some one questions it
My buddies reason out:
Go to the root and redress it!
When you act in offence
My men demand:
Ban them, punish them!
When my country attacks yours
My compatriots defend it:
It's in pure defence
It's for universal peace!
When your country attacks mine
My partisans castigate you:
It's an outright invasion
It's naked imperialism!
When my countrymen are killed
My allies appeal to human sympathy
and tender sentiments.
When your nationals are killed
My people breathe fire and brimstone
Treating the killed like dirt and a dog.
Human blood isn't the same
It has its own clime and colour! ?
When I proclaim:
My faith is the greatest
My co-believers thump:
It's universal too!
When you praise
The virtues of your faith
My fellows quip:
It's only in theory made up
You never follow it!
We flaunt the 'global village'
But what do we see?
Localisation of the globe
And not globalisation of the local.
Isn't it high time, friends of the world,
We shed our Janus-faced approach
And tried to weld ourselves
Into a harmonious humanity?
Om shanthi shantih shantih! ! !
[May peace prevail everywhere! ! ! ]
[Jan 18,2009: : Hyderabad - 500 056]
AtreyaSarma Uppaluri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blood Has Its Colours by AtreyaSarma Uppaluri )
- Thief, Pijush Biswas
- I Am playing, gajanan mishra
- Everyday Is a TEST, Enoch Owusu Gyamfi
- One Of These Pure Days, Naveed Akram
- Deepavali, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Psalm CVII, Henry Ainsworth
- Even in strife, hasmukh amathalal
- ! DESECRATED POEMS/FLOATING HYPERLINK IN.., Alice Vedral Rivera
- In the midst of ruin there is reparation, Mark Heathcote
- Psalm XXIII, Henry Ainsworth
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)