Blood Has Its Colours
When I make a provocative statement
My backers cover it up:
We haven't seen it yet (OR)
Don't read it out of context
When you make a similar utterance
My comrades threaten:
Either you apologise
Or we'll hang you
When I wreak terror
And some one questions it
My buddies reason out:
Go to the root and redress it!
When you act in offence
My men demand:
Ban them, punish them!
When my country attacks yours
My compatriots defend it:
It's in pure defence
It's for universal peace!
When your country attacks mine
My partisans castigate you:
It's an outright invasion
It's naked imperialism!
When my countrymen are killed
My allies appeal to human sympathy
and tender sentiments.
When your nationals are killed
My people breathe fire and brimstone
Treating the killed like dirt and a dog.
Human blood isn't the same
It has its own clime and colour! ?
When I proclaim:
My faith is the greatest
My co-believers thump:
It's universal too!
When you praise
The virtues of your faith
My fellows quip:
It's only in theory made up
You never follow it!
We flaunt the 'global village'
But what do we see?
Localisation of the globe
And not globalisation of the local.
Isn't it high time, friends of the world,
We shed our Janus-faced approach
And tried to weld ourselves
Into a harmonious humanity?
Om shanthi shantih shantih! ! !
[May peace prevail everywhere! ! ! ]
[Jan 18,2009: : Hyderabad - 500 056]
AtreyaSarma Uppaluri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blood Has Its Colours by AtreyaSarma Uppaluri )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Beautiful Little Christmas, Leah Ayliffe
- aChe HiLLy's Heal - oN thE hEELs oF eVeRy1, sEaN nOrTh
- Biswr, Swrji Basumatary
- Wine, Leong Ming Loong
- PARLIAMENTARY TYRANNY IN NAIROBI, alexander opicho
- Christmas, Paul Sebastian
- Let us not fail, hasmukh amathalal
- Friendship, Luo Zhihai
- Ang Mulugkhw, Swrji Basumatary
- Hounds, Anuradha Bhattacharyya