Breaking Down Barriers
Lora's blazing red, shoulder-length hair
is chopped off in an uneven, angry, spiked,
'Oh, I almost didn't recognize you', I say to my
friend. 'A new hair style.'
Thinking: What in the world has she done
to her hair?
She tells me she ran into that old flame of hers
who had dumped her two years ago without explanation,
just vanished into thin air.
'Hi, great to see you, how have you been? ', he had asked
as if he cared.
'Wonderful', she lied. 'How about you? '
Tearfully, telling me:
'Do you believe that? What did I ever see in him! '
Then, Brian, my neighbor lost his job and his wife walked out,
both on the same day,
'And I told him: 'Hang in there, one day at a time.'
Thinking: He looks like 'death warmed over'.
And when I, too, lost my job and Peter, my husband,
took off with, would you believe it, Lora,
leaving me a pithy note:
'They never wanted this to happen.'
Stunned with note in hand, I rang up Brian and we've
been talking non-stop, breaking down all barriers,
revealing more about ourselves,
than either of us ever wanted to know.
Elke Nigro's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Breaking Down Barriers by Elke Nigro )
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- The Saffron Drape, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Highway of Holiness, Terrance Tracy
- Hey Big Guy, My Kindred Soul, Noah Body
- COPLA 112 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)