Robert Edgar Burns
Life is like a cargo ship.
We are the passengers on board.
It reaches it's destination
On a foreign distant shore.
We travel then for many miles
From the cradle to the grave.
Sometimes we revel in freedom.
Other times we feel as slaves.
I remember loosing baby teeth,
Before I grew peach fuzz.
I had to shave at twelve years old,
Or sent home from school I was.
Today I tried to hit a ball.
With a bat I took a swing.
I threw my shoulder out of place.
That is a painful thing.
I never did things just half way.
I put my all into every job.
But now I am a bag of bones
And I feel just like a blob.
I believe this is a stage of life.
But I fight against the waves.
It's hard when your limitations,
Slow you down more every day.
I cried when I was just a boy
And found my favorite but broken toy.
That is exactly what I am now,
And this knowledge brings me no joy.
Can I please borrow some super glue
To make me as good as new?
I understand the Good Book says,
That's exactly what the Father will do!
Oh Lord there are children today
Who start their lives as broken toys.
Put in the hearts of everyone
New love for all girls and boys.
Robert Edgar Burns's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (BROKEN TOYS by Robert Edgar Burns )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad
- Mangos and Monkeys, Kim Barney
- Mack, Kim Barney
- Who Told You That?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Two Friends, Kim Barney
- Happy Birthday, Jesus!, Mitta Xinindlu