Osip Emilevich Mandelstam (1891 - 1938 / Warsaw)
Brothers, let us glorify freedom’s twilight
Brothers, let us glorify freedom’s twilight –
the great, darkening year.
Into the seething waters of the night
heavy forests of nets disappear.
O Sun, judge, people, your light
is rising over sombre years
Let us glorify the deadly weight
the people’s leader lifts with tears.
Let us glorify the dark burden of fate,
power’s unbearable yoke of fears.
How your ship is sinking, straight,
he who has a heart, Time, hears.
We have bound swallows
into battle legions - and we,
we cannot see the sun: nature’s boughs
are living, twittering, moving, totally:
through the nets –the thick twilight - now
we cannot see the sun, and Earth floats free.
Let’s try: a huge, clumsy, turn then
of the creaking helm, and, see -
Earth floats free. Take heart, O men.
Slicing like a plough through the sea,
Earth, to us, we know, even in Lethe’s icy fen,
has been worth a dozen heavens’ eternity.
Osip Emilevich Mandelstam's Other Poems
- A flame is in my blood
- A phantom scene barely glimmers
- A young Levite among priests
- As Psyche-Life goes down to the shades
- Beneath a veil of milky white
- Brothers, let us glorify freedom’s twili...
- Every church sings its own soft part
- Go back to the tainted lap, Leah
- How hard for me, the splendor of this cr...
- I am cold. Transparent Spring dresses
- I am sorry it is winter now
- I can’t sleep
- I could not among the misty clouds
- I don’t remember the word I wished to sa...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.