I climbed a fence to pick a flower,
Then stopped to look around.
It took me 'most a quarter hour
To pick the flowers that I found.
Oh, lovely sunlit daisy shells,
Oh, look! what are those sky blue bells?
Another and another there.
I'll pick them all; no one will care
For this is only pasture land
And, oh, the flowers are so grand.
It's only pasture land, ah, yes,
And over there, there is a... A cow I think.
Or could it be...? I'll have to guess.
What if it were...?
A bull! I sink
Down to the ground so I can tell;
I see his horns; he has no bell.
He turns his head to look my way;
The fence is, oh... so far away.
I've heard it said,
'You must not run.'
If I call out, would someone come?
A cow or bull?
How does one know?
He turns around; his head is down.
I've also heard that it will show
If he should start to paw the ground.
He takes a step;
He’s going to come!
I've got to run; my legs are numb!
Is it too late?
I cannot wait!
Somewhere there's got to be a gate.
What shall I do;
What shall I do?
'He' stretched 'his' neck and then said,
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (.Bull Daunted by Adeline Foster )
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sting, Foster Teegarden
- Some Ghoul, Foster Teegarden
- the man of christmas, Faith Taylors
- My Description, Foster Teegarden
- Scared to love you, leanne royle
- Pain, leanne royle
- Human, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)