by the river
By The River.
At the estuary of the Amazons the water is muddy and shallow and
there are no undercover bosses, pretending to be one of the people
who live in houses on stilts on the small islands where the river
meets the sea, blends and loses its power; for those who have sailed
the oceans no river is big. On the delta, of the great river, live people
who get their income from fishing they are poor yet free from prying
bosses those who buy the river and the sea for exploitation and make
people into low paid worker; destitution without pride.
Every group of houses on the islands have a shop that sells sweets,
cigarettes and Coca Cola, the fisherman smokes, children drink cola,
America´s cultural export reaches every corner of our cerulean orb,
Camel is a brand not an animal, Winston is a night riding cowboy.
This means nothing for the people here, who try to catch the Boto,
(pink river dolphin) which is rich in protein and tastes good.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (by the river by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Bloodlust, Stephen Brian Brady
- The Persians at Salamis, Stephen Brian Brady
- My Daughter, My Daughter, I Know It They.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- On A Kiss, Sambanath Denis
- Mechanical Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Life on the edge, Stephen Brian Brady
- The Miracle in a Poem, Sandra Feldman
- Angels Come, Sambanath Denis
- love for jezebel, ademola oluwabusayo
- Process Of Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak