Can I Belong?
Where can I belong?
In a world that's gone so wrong.
I'm lost and scared.
Quite ill prepared.
The cold out there with a rigid stare.
How does one farewell?
The inner strength I hide.
Even from my very eyes.
Out there I feel so despised.
With every step I reprise.
The delicate game of my guise.
Putting up a show of lies.
Of a man whose brave and never cries.
Who doesn't even recognize.
The disgusted looks and hate implied.
God knows that I have tried.
To get along and do no wrong.
I've sometimes stumbled along the way.
Selfishly thinking in a daze.
I hope to find a place to fit.
Where the colors are bright and words don't cut with evil wit.
All I needs a little space.
Where friends are true, and think I'm really cool.
They'll not see me as just a tool.
Where can I go to find this group?
I don't know I've seen them all.
It is no use.
It's no longer worth the abuse.
How much longer can I search?
When inside it really hurts.
All I wants a place to belong.
Is needing that so very wrong?
I guess I'll go for a little more.
Hoping soon that I'll score.
Until then I'll keep the chore.
Knowing that there must be more.
Michael McParland's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can I Belong? by Michael McParland )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(3 June 1926 – 5 April 1997)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- I Like My Lips Against Yours, Is It Poetry
- Sound Of India, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Best Test, John Shea
- peace in the battle field..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Refueling My Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God I'll Bake For You, Mr. Nobody
- Exploitation, Akhtar Jawad
- Kill not, kill not, gajanan mishra
- Too filmy, hasmukh amathalal
- What is life we know not, gajanan mishra