Michael P. McParland
Can I Belong?
Where can I belong?
In a world that's gone so wrong.
I'm lost and scared.
Quite ill prepared.
The cold out there with a rigid stare.
How does one farewell?
The inner strength I hide.
Even from my very eyes.
Out there I feel so despised.
With every step I reprise.
The delicate game of my guise.
Putting up a show of lies.
Of a man whose brave and never cries.
Who doesn't even recognize.
The disgusted looks and hate implied.
God knows that I have tried.
To get along and do no wrong.
I've sometimes stumbled along the way.
Selfishly thinking in a daze.
I hope to find a place to fit.
Where the colors are bright and words don't cut with evil wit.
All I needs a little space.
Where friends are true, and think I'm really cool.
They'll not see me as just a tool.
Where can I go to find this group?
I don't know I've seen them all.
It is no use.
It's no longer worth the abuse.
How much longer can I search?
When inside it really hurts.
All I wants a place to belong.
Is needing that so very wrong?
I guess I'll go for a little more.
Hoping soon that I'll score.
Until then I'll keep the chore.
Knowing that there must be more.
Michael P. McParland's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can I Belong? by Michael P. McParland )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
Poem of the Day
- Phantom!, Denis Martindale
- Combing Interior Forces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Songs of A Bull Frog (Part Three) .., Merton Lee
- Awesome Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fluid Insturmental Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Satisfied, Robert Ronnow
- Ones Parents, michael walkerjohn
- Fascinating Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel