John G. Nelson
I can’t rest, I can’t breathe easily
I can’t sleep, I can’t dream clearly.
Anxieties, pains beat me so easily
I’ve pleaded, they spoke unkindly.
Faces turn; they walk inattentively.
I can’t write a word properly,
I grasp not my thoughts clearly
Hatred, animosity breed in silently.
I love, hope but falls short easily.
& Wounds can’t erase so quickly.
I grasp not why I’m treated differently
Alien I’m named, & curse persistently.
dream never pleased, deny consistently
I’m given pain, & fear to chew, silently
The beast has no heart; it inflates daily.
John nelson 7/26/2005
John G. Nelson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Can't sleep by John G. Nelson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- WAR modern art-form of meaninglessness, George Dee Vuy
- I let myself, Elena Ioannou
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall