Oh! How we glorify War.
Or brave lads are doing such a fine job,
Fighting for democracy like they had a thousand times before.
And we’ll all bask in all their glory.
Oh how we justify their fate without remembering the past.
A million million wasted lives and all that they shall reap
Are their names carved in a cenotaph partly remembering their story?
But if you could ask them all to a man what they would sooner have?
Our lives! , each would reply, from first man to the last!
Wrote this at the start of the second gulf war upon seeing the first war dead had been flown home on the news.
kipper Stagg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cenotaph by kipper Stagg )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Country in despair, Bernard Onoja
- Forgivness, Nick Kler
- Beauty, andrew reeves
- Sweet Mirage, Maureen Alikor
- Circus of life, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Kalidas- - - (Shakespeare of India), Aftab Alam
- Laugh and grow fat, Bernard Onoja
- Follow Your Heart, Apurva Prabhudesai
- Fisherman's bait, gajanan mishra
- Hoarding, gajanan mishra