Frank V. Gardner
Chain of Twenty Five
Another year has passed, my love,
And now it's twenty five:
The total years our marriage has
Been true, and been alive.
We've moved a dozen times in all,
And shared good times with bad.
We've traveled many thousand miles.
Adventures, we have had.
Nine children have been born to us,
And one grandchild, as well.
We're in McLean three years by now.
It seems like quite a spell.
My job has separated us
Each year from time to time.
Let's hope New York will be the last
Occasion for such rhyme.
Last year it was Geneva,
With the work on Law of Sea,
That kept the miles between us
On our anniversary.
This year that same old group is in
New York, and so am I;
But 'ere this day is over,
I'll be with you, at your side.
With this in mind, I went to find,
And found a silver chain,
With twenty-five connecting links;
To us they appertain.
One link, each year that we have lived,
Together, hand in hand.
Those links to mark the lives we've shared,
As, side by side, we stand.
It's silver, and it's twenty five.
It marks our years of love.
So, wear it well. We give our thanks
To Father up above.
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chain of Twenty Five by Frank V. Gardner )
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
- Laurence Overmire
(24 June 1842 - 26 December 1913)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800)