Numerous High Street names
Are going to the wall;
Soon, there'll be nothing left:
Not a single trace at all.
Some of them had traded
For over a hundred years,
But, hit by the recession,
It all ended in tears.
Walking down the High Street,
You're very likely to find
Numerous empty shops,
Which victims left behind.
It isn't a surprise to find
Three empty shops in a row;
The number of empty shops
Will continue to grow and grow.
Names, which we grew up with,
Now no longer exist;
Shops we considered eternal,
By us, are sadly missed.
If we could turn back time,
And bring back the shops of old,
Maybe our towns' High Streets
Wouldn't look so ghostly and cold.
I never thought I'd see the day
When big names shops closed down.
I guess I just took for granted
That they'd always be around.
There may well come a day
When everyone shops online;
Who knows what the future holds
In these changing times.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Changing Times by Angela Wybrow )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Thy melody is lost, ramesh rai
- Under The Raging Water, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Daughter of Eve, ramesh rai
- Schmacebook, Esther Moe
- Excuses, Michelle Dragonfly
- They Say, Michelle Dragonfly
- someone asked me why i have so many jars.., Mandolyn ...
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul