Emily Pauline Johnson
So near at hand (our eyes o'erlooked its nearness
In search of distant things)
A dear dream lay--perchance to grow in dearness
Had we but felt its wings
Astir. The air our very breathing fanned
It was so near at hand.
Once, many days ago, we almost held it,
The love we so desired;
But our shut eyes saw not, and fate dispelled it
Before our pulses fired
To flame, and errant fortune bade us stand
Hand almost touching hand.
I sometimes think had we two been discerning,
The by-path hid away
From others' eyes had then revealed its turning
To us, nor led astray
Our footsteps, guiding us into love's land
That lay so near at hand.
So near at hand, dear heart, could we have known it!
Throughout those dreamy hours,
Had either loved, or loving had we shown it,
Response had sure been ours;
We did not know that heart could heart command,
And love so near at hand!
What then availed the red wine's subtle glisten?
We passed it blindly by,
And now what profit that we wait and listen
Each for the other's heart beat? Ah! the cry
Of love o'erlooked still lingers, you and I
Sought heaven afar, we did not understand
'Twas--once so near at hand.
Emily Pauline Johnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Close by by Emily Pauline Johnson )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Every day feels scripted, Mark Heathcote
- It's Not Your Fault, Sarah Liz Bowman
- Beauty Of Moonlight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- misguide., tiffany white
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget
- Eagle, Luo Zhihai
- I Told You Often, Vera Sidhwa
- Watch Super Bowl 2015 Live Stream Online.., Renz Barns
- everything i ever wrote sort of had your.., Mandolyn ...