Have you any common scents
that sweep you off your feet?
To memories that make you smile,
that make you feel complete?
The scents of briny breezes,
sweep me off to sunny shores;
When I would paddle in the waves,
revelling in the outdoors.
The scents of tangy tamarind,
sweep me to a wooded glade;
Picking fallen fruit and flowers,
in a dark, green forest shade.
The scents of brand new textbooks,
sweep me off to old schooldaze;
Brown paper covered notebooks,
and archaic concert plays.
The scents of freshly brewing tea,
sweep me to idyllic afternoons;
Slices of sweet coconut cake,
in small filigree spoons.
And scents of happy baby kisses,
Like sweet warm falling dew;
sweep me to pure wonderment,
of my miracle that grew.
If we could only bottle scents,
that blow upon the breeze;
Simple common scents like these,
would make pure memories.
Roann Mendriq's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Common scents by Roann Mendriq )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies