Robert William Service
Three Holies sat in sacred place
And quaffed celestial wine,
As they discussed the human race
With dignity divine.
Said they: 'Although in doctrine we
May differ more or less,
In spirit stoutly we agree
Religion's a success.'
Said One: 'I praise the pride of war,
The Faith that mocks at fear;
Desire of death in battle for
It bringeth Heaven near.'
The Second said: ''Tis Peace I preach,
And hate of human strife;
The sufferance of pain I teach,
The sanctity of life.'
Then said the Third: 'Love I proclaim
The goal of human good . . .
Yet are we not all three the same
In holy brotherhood?'
And so they went forth hand in hand,
Wending a starry way,--
Mohamet, gentle Buddha and
He of Gethsemenè.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Comrades by Robert William Service )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(14 December 1895 – 18 November 1952)
(23 June 1889 – 5 March 1966)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Little Sexy Princess, Michael P. McParland
- You Are As It Is, Ifthekar Ifthi
- Yore Inn, Kim Barney
- Life Is Worth Living, Michael P. McParland
- Lay Down With Me, Michael P. McParland
- University, Birat Anupam
- Later Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- It's Your Fault, Hank, Kim Barney
- No Dime, olaitan mahmud
- KP You Are Divine To Me, Michael P. McParland