Love! Love! Your tenderness,
Your beautiful, watchful ways
Grasp me, fold me, cover me;
I lie in a kind of daze,
Neither asleep nor yet awake,
Neither a bud nor flower.
Joy or sorrow,
The black or the golden hour?
Love! Love! You pity me so!
Chide me, scold me--cry,
"Submit--submit! You must not fight!"
What may I do, then? Die?
But, oh my horror of quiet beds!
How can I longer stay!
"One to be ready,
Two to be steady,
Three to be off and away!"
Darling heart--your gravity!
Your sorrowful, mournful gaze--
"Two bleached roads lie under the moon,
At the parting of the ways."
But the tiny, tree-thatched, narrow lane,
Isn't it yours and mine?
The blue-bells ring
Hey, ding-a-ding, ding!
And buds are thick on the vine.
Love! Love! Grief of my heart!
As a tree droops over a stream
You hush me, lull me, dark me,
The shadow hiding the gleam.
Your drooping and tragical boughs of grace
Are heavy as though with rain.
Into the sun!
Let us be children again.
Katherine Mansfield's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Covering Wings by Katherine Mansfield )
- In A Creche In The Mountains, Robert Rorabeck
- Save yourself, gajanan mishra
- True love.....?, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.21, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.20, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.19, Monk E. Biz
- The Puppet of His Heart, Robert Rorabeck
- Turn Your Back, Tyrone Gayle
- My name is Death, Roxanne Dubarry
- Paleolithic Mermaid, Robert Rorabeck