In the garden, bamboos arch
to the slightest wind
and the sun hides its face.
The smell of the earth after the rain
brings memories of monsoon and mushrooms
growing among clumps of rain-kissed bamboos.
This was how Mother wove tales about it:
In the days of old, when saints lived among townsfolk,
there was a housewife at her wit's end.
She had more guests than her larder could feed them
and all that was left was a piece of dried meat.
'Chop it up and scatter among the clumps, ' a well-loved saint said.
This, the housewife did.
Soon after the rains, a myriad of mushrooms
sprouted among the weeds.
I see Mother harvesting the fragile sprouts
sprung from the earth
not quite like a flower,
and not as resplendent as a rose.
How she must be rejoicing at this bounty-
the many delights she could create with her hands.
Even now as she gathers them in the folds of her skirt,
she's whipping up songs for this blessing from the earth
saying praises to its name: mushroom, curacding.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Curacding by Lorna Billanes )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Sonnet II: My Heart Was Slain, Michael Drayton
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley
Poem of the Day
- The Cry Of The Shadow, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- He Knows No Hospital Gate, Mohamedkhadar Yussuf
- I LOST YOU, Sharen Suren
- the pleasure of old age, oskar hansen
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'One Art', Merton Lee
- Iron Road poem, As Fates Convolve, Sambanath Denis
- BEYOND DEATH, Michael P. Johnson
- Limerick-74, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Paul Butters Clerihew One, Paul Butters
- Ricordare, Colm Keenan