Sitting in a dark room,
not a single light.
Are you afraid?
Or can you sit there,
ignoring what your mind creates?
Can you pass it off as false,
what’s lurking in the shadows?
Just sitting—trying to stay calm,
watching—for any movement in the blackness,
waiting—for a hand to grasp you from behind,
straining—to hear any sound of a presence.
clear and defined
when glimpsed in the light,
but when in isolated darkness
it’s blurred with the nightmares;
the monsters of the mind.
Shapes and forms
bloom before your eyes
in the absence of the light
and its familiar protection.
The creatures of the unseen world
stalking your every move,
looking for the perfect chance
to attack you when your guard is down.
Though they flee from the light,
faster than you could imagine.
Making it seem
as if there were never any threat.
But oh, how wrong you’d be
to make that fool’s assumption.
The darkness is a battlefield,
and you’re the only fighter.
Can you handle the Dark?
(I feel that I should include a quote from Evanescence’s ‘Sweet Sacrifice’ – “Fear is only in our minds, but it’s taking over all the time.” I think it might have influenced this.)
Jane Meyer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (*Dark by Jane Meyer )
- Hero Needed, Barbara Dixion
- The Good Spirit, Sandra Feldman
- Don't Let It Be, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- LOVE IS A DELICATE THING, Marcus McKinley
- Beaming Bolts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- It's only human, Priscilla Stalker
- October...come she will., Roxanne Dubarry
- Fly Away, Gerry Legister
- Good For Nothing (Fun Poem 161), David Harris
- I Went, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)