As the night's darkness fades
and I once again
face the morning's light.
I fight back the temptation
to fall back into sleeps embrace
for the night's seduction gently beckons me
to throw in the towel
to give up this race.
As the sun climbs the eastern horizon
I know it brings with it the strife
of yet another day of facing the grind.
Yet in solemn silence I dress myself
and fall into the practiced routine
that's always hurried and rushed
out of fear of falling behind.
As the morning's rays illuminate the room
I see the pile left unpaid
and begin to feel the stress of responsibility
as it once again dawns in my soul.
So I close my eyes
to hide in the dark
as I feel my world
begin to spin out of control.
As the day's new lights bathes me
I stand on the precipice of darkness's fall
trying to find a reason to hold on
and to continue to try
since the dreams
that once fueled my ambitions
have turned to burdens
and the price seems just to high.
As I begin to fall for the seductive whisper
I catch I glimpse of your silhouette
outlined by the golden rays
of morning's highlight.
The vision of your peaceful slumber
could inspire a master's opus
and the poet of old to write.
As the darkness fades
I once again see the morning's light.
As I bathe in your illumination
I find the strength face the day
for you are the dream
that fuels my ambitions.
And with your light guiding me
I know I'll find a way.
© Joey Jones 7/13
Joey Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Darkness Fades by Joey Jones )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -99, Ronjoy Brahma
- But It's Over, Tex T Sarnie
- The Opposing Thumb, Gouda Moon
- जोनोमगिरि आय, Ronjoy Brahma
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo