David To Jonathan, A Lost Psalm Recovered, Recent Translation, circa 1978
'And it came to pass...that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul...Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul. And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.'
- 1 Samuel 18: 1 - 4 King James Bible
The Lost Psalm
Abjuring flesh of necessity,
this, my peace, is false.
This ancient tonguing
betrays some fault
disdaining the human world -
which occurred first,
the birthing or the wounding?
the music woos,
swells me up.
It is my sleek, bleak hour
remembering Bathsheba's girth.
There is some mirth in remembering her,
those skirts and veils like a cadence of sweet cakes
but knowing your ungirt, perspiring embrace
so near to the Lord's tent,
makes the sin sweeter
for sweet is the intent
to only love
for now it is
the building up,
the engulfing in flame,
unconsumed in a hardness of
flesh against the hardness of belief,
no relief of vision's ken within himself
or fire but in arms and legs thrashing
out creeds to live by.
Warren Falcon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (David To Jonathan, A Lost Psalm Recovered, Recent Translation, circa 1978 by Warren Falcon )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Main ek phool hun kanto se, jiski nateda.., Aftab Alam
- Let's Make Today Fun, Seema Chowdhury
- LOVE IS LIKE A ROSE, Colin Ian Jeffery
- The Right Answer, Seema Chowdhury
- Faltering is not good, gajanan mishra
- Manassas, I Remember, mary douglas
- Buried alive!, the hobbler
- I wrote o love, hasmukh amathalal
- Tune up with Answered Prayers, Seema Chowdhury
- Miracles Do Happen, Seema Chowdhury