We drove the old Ford wagon across the gulf states of the South
from Louisiana all the way to the sunshine state of Florida.
We stayed with my aunt and uncle on their farm in Lake Helen
with orange groves and lots of room to roam.
I played with their collie dog in the pond
and rode a horse for the very first time.
We went on down to a place called Marineland
where I saw the dolphins jump through hoops.
Then on to Disney World in wet and rainy Orlando
where we went to 20,000 leagues under the sea.
We took a ride in a glass-bottomed boat on a river
where the monkeys jumped on board to greet us.
Then on to Daytona Beach for the day
where Dad was stationed during the war.
The army mechanics would soup up their jeeps
and Dad and his buddies would race them at night.
He was only a nineteen year old boy then
but now he’s dead and gone and I miss him so.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Originally published in Heavy Hands Ink
Comments about this poem (Daytona Dad by H.D. Whatley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Harold Hart Crane
(21 July 1899 – 27 April 1932)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(25 November 1890 – 1 April 1918)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)
(1886 - 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Ranga Duniya ne Dkhaya hai Nirala, Kumar Vishwas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Television, Roald Dahl
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moments Of Refreshing Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God., Th@ We N0t, sEaN nOrTh
- only Dfence against a rhythm - Boi, sEaN nOrTh
- Snuggle 2, Michael P. McParland
- ROAD FROM PARIS 1970, Terry Collett
- '' O '', Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR