The curfew is pass time,
My shorts are already dirty with slime,
I am running through the woods in snow
Melted snow drips from the leaves, I should’ve known.
I have to be at house at least by nine.
Or else dad will kill me because of the time,
Breathless and sweaty, still I run,
Can’t stop, had too much fun.
I fall over the roots of cedar,
I get up and run faster as it slowed my radar.
I hear noises behind me,
I still run but I do see.
There is my father with many men,
I am relieved to see my brother Ben.
He will protect me from father’s wrath
In lanterns light my father’s face bath.
I call them but they do no hear,
I try to rush near.
They are halted and huddled in a circle,
There is something their bodies encircle.
I go near them and call the still do not hear,
Then I stop dead as I see someone dying,
Near the cedar tree.
In woods? Maybe I ran past her.
I’ve seen her somewhere.
Her life is leaving her bloody face but she smiles,
Her breathing shallow as if she has ran through miles.
My forehead tingles, I touch there
It is dirty blood, dried on the hair.
My knees give away and I fall next to the known face
Who is taking her last breath.
I lean over and she whispers: On time!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Deadly curfew. by shreya nair )
- White Buffalo Annunciation, mary douglas
- Unrest Soul: Scaffolding Divergence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- I Was There, David Lacey
- GRACE, Itsoghole O Solomon
- Clock Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Promise You, Lilly Emery
- Rock my boat, george albot
- Those who complain النئائين, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 3 Petal Flowers, Kyle Schlicher
- Prosperity Milking Cow Of Good, sallam yassin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)