Not Long Left
Dealing With Death
Bob buries his grief deep into the soil
daily he speaks to the bemused flowers.
Susan stares out of the window maybe
waiting for the departed to rise and return.
Margaret studies the faces smiling at
their smiles and reliving the days.
Danny visits the bedroom each night
closing the windows, turning on the lamp...
Harry sets the table for two, staring ahead
waiting for her to smile and thank him.
Bridget puts 'Motorcycle emptiness on repeat
watching him play air guitar and mouth empty words.
Bert squirts a little perfume onto his collar
so she remains but a sniff away.
And me, well I write about how everyone else
copes in order to not have to cope myself.
Not Long Left's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dealing With Death by Not Long Left )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Tiger, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Below, Frank Avon
- God's own..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- 2 Fast And The Furious, Mark Harper
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo
- a small stop...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Id est, Frank Avon
- December 28th: Feast Of The Holy Innocents, Saiom Shriver
- End of the Year, Light Mark