The ‘valor' was rich as the bygone years,
That slept with him in his silent graves
The sulking verses below the reposing Earth
Unvoiced death in soundless rave
It moved, it twitched in anguish and wrath
Down below that rotting cage,
The slumbering death had risen again
To mend earthly life with its deadly swage.
It prepared to smack, to ravage and distort
Mortals in their illusion-land,
Who reveled and danced in forged prejudice
Where Justice, honor and all law was banned.
Men fed with dread, with wrath and lust
That treaded above that sloven grave
‘Death' thought and mocked at the bellowing mobs,
At the flimsy life, so shallow, so naive!
It smiled and said from his decadent abode,
"This grave above my groping grave"
Where fetid lives in ruddy streams,
Smeared with prejudice, in blood they laved.
Death plays, and laughs in mirth, in pride,
When a sudden ray through the cask invades
The creeping reed above that cask,
And death again stood betrayed.
There might be wrath, and envy too
But smiles life, where death does sleep,
There might be a grave above the grave
Grows Life of death where death reposes deep.
ritwika raha's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death defeated by ritwika raha )
- I Remember, Kelly Shanks
- Right there, Robert Lynnn
- Beautiful heaven, hasmukh amathalal
- Black Thursday, Barry Jablonski
- ... MY FIGHT FOR LIFE..., Ken e Hall
- Show life, hasmukh amathalal
- Life, Soul Watcher
- Song of Myself, LII, Walt Whitman
- Bharatheeyakavitha-3, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Childhood is the Kingdom Where Nobody Dies, Edna St. Vincent Millay
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Case Of Murder, Vernon Scannell
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Green Mountain, Li Po
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)