The ‘valor' was rich as the bygone years,
That slept with him in his silent graves
The sulking verses below the reposing Earth
Unvoiced death in soundless rave
It moved, it twitched in anguish and wrath
Down below that rotting cage,
The slumbering death had risen again
To mend earthly life with its deadly swage.
It prepared to smack, to ravage and distort
Mortals in their illusion-land,
Who reveled and danced in forged prejudice
Where Justice, honor and all law was banned.
Men fed with dread, with wrath and lust
That treaded above that sloven grave
‘Death' thought and mocked at the bellowing mobs,
At the flimsy life, so shallow, so naive!
It smiled and said from his decadent abode,
"This grave above my groping grave"
Where fetid lives in ruddy streams,
Smeared with prejudice, in blood they laved.
Death plays, and laughs in mirth, in pride,
When a sudden ray through the cask invades
The creeping reed above that cask,
And death again stood betrayed.
There might be wrath, and envy too
But smiles life, where death does sleep,
There might be a grave above the grave
Grows Life of death where death reposes deep.
ritwika raha's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death defeated by ritwika raha )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Not the One, Dean Meredith
- Bobwhite Calling, Kyle Schlicher
- Life, Death, Love! (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- Bombs And Rain, Kyle Schlicher
- Prime Reasoning, F. J. Thomas
- Lets Try Again (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- Let's Make Those Sad Tears Disappear (Se.., Ronald Chapman
- Hide and Seek, Dean Meredith
- In Rum, Beer, Brandy, Whiskey, See I My .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Let's Climb A Mountain, Ronald Chapman