Death When Challenged Life
Death once told poor life defeated by life:
Life’s no life if lived as if on the edge of knife,
Surfeit with struggles, nor if soaked in strife,
Do ye know how many deaths is Death rife?
Death’s all but death, scarce as truth rhymes with life,
Life in deep layers of slow death is rife,
And I’ve heard a man asking on deathbed,
Pray, tell me Death, how long ere I’m all dead?
To him says death straightening up stiff head,
Moments might when look like minutes of dread,
Minutes stretch and stretch into hours, instead,
Hours take when days, days take years, thou art dead.
Remember, life’s lived moment to moment,
And measured too in a moving moment,
Forget not: Death alone is permanent,
I dwell in life from birth living dormant;
There’s no freedom in life, none from death’s pall,
Death but changes bricks of a prison wall,
All quarrels ‘tween life and death, big and small,
Seem settled, death when proves him far too tall.
Life’s a small piece of graphic para, too blurred,
Of my poem, said He, metre nor measured,
If life’s new beginning of a young bird,
Death knows life’s length, knows when the end’s unfurled.
Eons pass sans measure for endless time,
While no clocks tick, nor dare their hours to chime,
Rocks break down whilst time stands without rhyme,
Ground into grains of sands, earth into lime.
While life seemed stuck with this poem’s first spell,
Death when challenged life to dare worst of hell,
Ah, an Absolute all commanding male1
Voice vouched: ticks time, life and death at my will.
1. Male: Refers to Purusha, the male principle, vis-à-vis life, which
in Sanskrit is Prakriti.
- Musings | 12.08.12 |
Aniruddha Pathak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death When Challenged Life by Aniruddha Pathak )
- Your mania, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- जिउनि दाइरियाव, -2009, Ronjoy Brahma
- Celebration, Aftab Alam
- I Cry, Phil Soar
- To Be An Ocean, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Present World, Aftab Alam
- Am I independent?, gajanan mishra
- Call Me, Phil Soar
- Ginkgo tree - a haiku, Susy Evelyne
- Corrective measure, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Black Death, Matthew Henning
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)