Death When Challenged Life
Death once told poor life defeated by life:
Life’s no life if lived as if on the edge of knife,
Surfeit with struggles, nor if soaked in strife,
Do ye know how many deaths is Death rife?
Death’s all but death, scarce as truth rhymes with life,
Life in deep layers of slow death is rife,
And I’ve heard a man asking on deathbed,
Pray, tell me Death, how long ere I’m all dead?
To him says death straightening up stiff head,
Moments might when look like minutes of dread,
Minutes stretch and stretch into hours, instead,
Hours take when days, days take years, thou art dead.
Remember, life’s lived moment to moment,
And measured too in a moving moment,
Forget not: Death alone is permanent,
I dwell in life from birth living dormant;
There’s no freedom in life, none from death’s pall,
Death but changes bricks of a prison wall,
All quarrels ‘tween life and death, big and small,
Seem settled, death when proves him far too tall.
Life’s a small piece of graphic para, too blurred,
Of my poem, said He, metre nor measured,
If life’s new beginning of a young bird,
Death knows life’s length, knows when the end’s unfurled.
Eons pass sans measure for endless time,
While no clocks tick, nor dare their hours to chime,
Rocks break down whilst time stands without rhyme,
Ground into grains of sands, earth into lime.
While life seemed stuck with this poem’s first spell,
Death when challenged life to dare worst of hell,
Ah, an Absolute all commanding male1
Voice vouched: ticks time, life and death at my will.
1. Male: Refers to Purusha, the male principle, vis-à-vis life, which
in Sanskrit is Prakriti.
- Musings | 12.08.12 |
Aniruddha Pathak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death When Challenged Life by Aniruddha Pathak )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Yuletide Double Dactyl, Harley White
- Sleigh Ride, Angela Wybrow
- Two Lost Souls, Michael P. McParland
- Understanding Is The Key 2, Michael P. McParland
- Understanding Is The Key, Michael P. McParland
- Undying Love, Michael P. McParland
- Vision Of Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Visions, Michael P. McParland
- Roman Showers, Michael P. McParland
- Double Rainbow, Liilia Talts Morrison