Get tossed for failing to pay one's debts
You had to come up with the dough for
what you owed and your new situation
That was called terminal imprisonment.
Many tried to pay ye olde loan sharks
But at 100% interest compounded by
the day and being locked-up in chains
and in a cage, jobs were often scarce.
The debtor's were kept on separate
floors and in cells of different sizes
No heat and no AC, why there was
not even any running H2O (water) .
Throw in typhus and Gaol Fever, it
made for a very unpleasant scene
And with no Birdman from Alcatraz
There wasn't much to pass the time.
In short, it was a place of restraint
No visitors; no hacksaws in cakes
It was filthy and nauseous, and the
only way out was by your eulogy.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Debtor's Gaol by Robert Sheridan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Aimee, Omar Eldamsheety
- Nothing is there to fight for, gajanan mishra
- Bleeding Rain, Lalitha Narayanan
- The Dark Side of Moon, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Utopia, oskar hansen
- The Face of Love, Lalitha Narayanan
- holiday cruise, lee fones
- Himalayas, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Steeler Rocky Bleier, Richard Thripp
- To Be A Boy Again, Paul Gerard Reed