Whey are those tears in your eyes, my child?
How horrid of them to be always scolding you for nothing!
You have stained your fingers and face with ink while writing-
is that why they call you dirty?
O, fie! Would they dare to call the full moon dirty because
it has smudged its face with ink?
For every little trifle they blame you, my child. They are
ready to find fault for nothing.
You tore your clothes while playing-is that why they call you
O, fie! What would they call an autumn morning that smiles
through its ragged clouds?
Take no heed of what they say to you, my child.
They make a long list of your misdeeds.
Everybody knows how you love sweet things-is that why they
call you greedy?
O, fie! What then would they call us who love you?
Rabindranath Tagore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Defamation by Rabindranath Tagore )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- With malice towards none, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Human Vulture, V P Mahur
- Love You, Filmon Tesfaldet
- The Last Friend, David Lewis Paget
- When the Final Bell Tolls, Suzette Richards
- This Is My Calming Poem, Shalom Freedman
- गोसोनि दर्खँ दर्खँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- We're Not the Stars We Never Were, Sandra Feldman
- HEART SING'S, colinb bradley
- Not Yet At Home, Tony Adah