Definition of Poetry
Poetry is the collateral damage from dreaming.
It’s a horror of thought and images tumbled together,
Things you see that are not really there.
There are no pictures in your dreams,
Only the half-forgotten memories of sound,
And the pieces of time’s framework strewn about.
You make the pictures yourself.
When you remember these things that were half-forgotten,
Returned again and lost you receive poetry,
Wrapped in swaddling blankets and shining anew.
No one can realize that it is truly just a mish-mash of rehashing,
Or that it has been said time and again.
It is a work, solitary,
And if they tried to write the same thing,
From the same images that are not really images,
They would get something totally different.
In that is the definition of poetry,
When dreams shatter and you reform the pieces in a self-portrait,
Unique because you are.
Violet Llewellyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Definition of Poetry by Violet Llewellyn )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Bonus post, Mae AC.
- My Left Hand, Kyle Schlicher
- The Mad Scientist Writing, Kyle Schlicher
- Right or Wrong, Nasarudheen.P. Parameswaran
- A Real Friend, Margaret Moran
- you're a vessel i want live on twelve mo.., Mandolyn ...
- Riff on Bruce's Post Card Love Affairs, David McLansky
- Eternal Thirst, Lora Colon
- When I look at you, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Formalities Not Necessary, Margaret Moran