Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
Don't Ask Me to Write a Poem
Poems are tricky expressions
It’s obvious you’re oblivious to that
Put one single word out of line
And the whole thing could go kersplat!
Similes are as difficult as quantum physics
Metaphors freeze my brain
Alliteration makes me mad
Personification beats me up with a cane
And rhyming! Don’t talk about rhyming!
Don’t even dream of mentioning that
Now, what shall I rhyme “that” with?
Wombat, muskrat or doormat?
I've had my share of verbal irony
When I’m told writing poems are a walk in the park
Sarcasm is oh, so fun!
Poetry sure is not about shooting in the dark
Onomatopoeia makes me hiss
Oxymorons are purely disgusting
Assonances send a sharp blast to my head
Repetitions are boring, are boring
Don’t ask me to write a poem
Don’t tell me to dish out a verse
Don’t beg me to pull out a sonnet
Like I've hidden it somewhere in my purse
Don’t expect me to break out in rhyme
It’s not like I have them stocked in my shelf
If you need a poem that badly
Why don’t you write one yourself?
Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Ask Me to Write a Poem by Risha Ahmed (12 yrs) )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- A Cloud In Trousers - part I, Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayak ..
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- So Let Us Love, Edmund Spenser
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson