'Don't move' (The bank robbery)
On an average summer day
Under a turquoise Sydney sky,
I was a new parent and bank teller
When I saw a bearded guy.
At three minutes to five
Pointed a hand held gun,
At my stomach across the counter
I thought my life was done.
'Put the money in the bag'
He said through nervous teeth,
I just did as I was told
To reduce the tension and grief.
But that was not as bad
When I was sitting at my desk
When a double barrel sawn off
Was pointed at my chest.
As his metal power trip
Was moved up to my head,
He said if I ever move
'This pretty dog is dead'.
But his hands were but steady
He had done all this before,
I thought of my wife and child
And if this cowboy's quick on the draw.
But then about a year later
An accountant at Hurstville branch,
Two men and a single sawn off
Speaking in unrefined French.
Pointed it at my head
As the female staff lost control,
Of their bladders and their senses
An innocence forever lost.
I thought about my family
How will they live without my pay,
While my brains are sprayed on the wall
At least with God, I am OK.
I have a dream once a year
I wake up after I'm shot,
But they may have yelled 'don't move'
I've won because I've moved on.
Peter Hall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('Don't move' (The bank robbery) by Peter Hall )
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x5, Ronjoy Brahma
- Come Come, Tango Tango
- God Teaches Geology (M-F), Mr. Nobody
- I am Running Faster, Akhtar Jawad
- (समनि नायथाय) गुफुर उखुन्दैनि खुवाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alien Encounter, Robert Eckstein
- >>Bad Fruits, Abdul Wahab
- When You Need To Begin Again, Shalom Freedman
- >>Lips, Abdul Wahab
- Acknowledged Love, Sierra Staten
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)