Each day I try with all my might to be a better man.
Some days are better than others,
the occasional setback befalls me and I fall.
I shame myself then continue to press on because I want and need to be better.
I do this for myself first and foremost to not feed the rage.
To treat others in each and every way I want to be treated,
striving hard to not pass a cross word even if it's in return.
To be less reactionary in my actions lashing out no matter the circumstance.
Try no matter what to offer a cordial helpful peaceful hand.
Some say that's being fake or being weak but I think they miss the bigger point of rising above striving to be a better person.
Not to stand above and belittle them but to strive to be above the petty things that bring life down and put you on your knees.
I admit I fail quite often but I shame myself and look over all the faults, better preparing myself for the next event.
Swallow my pride in all the situations I must and always apologize where I'm at fault,
not just of pointless practice going through the motions,
but find it in my heart to mean the things I ask and say.
That's only the tip of the very large mountain before me indeed,
there's far to go and much work ahead it will be slow and arduous I know.
Set backs a plenty but I mustn't give up moving on and ever upward to attain the maturity and sense of self and pure true pride I seek and can truly be proud and humble for all the skins I've shed and found new light.
Michael McParland's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Each Day by Michael McParland )
- I am Thy Woman O my Protector, Aftab Alam
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
- Thoughtful Interlude, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Look At Easter, Denis Martindale
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #10, Ronjoy Brahma
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns