The old wooden dock was damp and cool,
standing on the edge of a coffee-brown lake.
The sky was so dark.
The rich indigo of a king's robe.
No longer dotted with stars,
not yet stained by the sun's arrogance.
The full moon sat alone,
staring at her reflection on the murky water.
So sad, wanting recognition, but too shy.
She waited for her brother to retrieve it.
Waited to be pushed to the corner of a baby-blue
sky, not to be noticed,
for the sun was there to give life.
The savior of the world.
Her depression was absorbed by the nighttime.
The crickets played their violins for her.
The birds slept. Silence.
Even the breeze was calm for her,
dancing its slow Nocturne.
The horizon went pale blue,
then pink and gold.
The sun was soon born, taking his place
in the now-bright sky.
The moon stood aside. A shade.
But even I no longer paid her attention.
Instead, I smiled up at my master.
Zoe Guillory's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Light by Zoe Guillory )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- जोनोमगिरि आय, Ronjoy Brahma
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma