I’ve awakened rather early
While at someone else’s house.
I was never good at being
As quiet as a mouse.
Walking to the bathroom,
Brushing my teeth and hair
Hoping the dog don’t see me
or he doesn’t care
But he sees me and comes running
Letting out a little yelp
I try my best to calm him
Even though that does not help.
So I lean to pet him
and to calm him with my talk
And wonder if they’d notice
If I took him for a walk.
My lady still is sleeping
In her niece’s pink bedroom
While I look out the window
At the cloudy pre-dawn gloom.
Her brother’s family household
All snuggled in their beds
While I wake and find a pencil
With these thoughts in my head.
I hope I’m not intruding
On this vision so sublime
But I cannot help admiring
This quiet peaceful time.
Doug Gunderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Riser by Doug Gunderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- Dear Katleho, Matthias Pantaleon
- Therapy in America at Christmas in 2014, Bill Grace
- Lost, Paul Sebastian
- Farewell 2014, Paul Sebastian
- The Right Religion, Kevin Forbes
- Miles away, hannah wilbert
- (8) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- A life unexamined, Robert Plese
- Dying, Dipankar Chakraborty
- Quotation # 5, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..