I’ve awakened rather early
While at someone else’s house.
I was never good at being
As quiet as a mouse.
Walking to the bathroom,
Brushing my teeth and hair
Hoping the dog don’t see me
or he doesn’t care
But he sees me and comes running
Letting out a little yelp
I try my best to calm him
Even though that does not help.
So I lean to pet him
and to calm him with my talk
And wonder if they’d notice
If I took him for a walk.
My lady still is sleeping
In her niece’s pink bedroom
While I look out the window
At the cloudy pre-dawn gloom.
Her brother’s family household
All snuggled in their beds
While I wake and find a pencil
With these thoughts in my head.
I hope I’m not intruding
On this vision so sublime
But I cannot help admiring
This quiet peaceful time.
Doug Gunderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Riser by Doug Gunderson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The Light of Your Smile, Jeffrey Gonell
- limericks section (more to be added) f.., lee fones
- Because of my dream, Alex Adeoye
- O CRUEL AGGRESSORS! YOU CAN NOT BEND OR .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Puddles Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE MORE THAN WHAT W.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Rembrandt, Phil Soar
- Margrit Biever Mondavi…..Happy Birthday .., James B. Earley
- Symbols Unremembered, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Restoration, Nalini Chaturvedi