Early to Bed
Pete was on the phone,
Mary scrubbed the floor clean,
Lil Danny sucked his thumbs,
A normal domestic scene.
Or so it would appear,
But the undercurrents of tension were emphatic,
As Mary and Pete noted in dismay,
That Danny was temporarily insomniatic.
A torrid night they had planned,
Erotic in extreme,
And here was this horrible boy,
Turning divine pleasures into a distant dream.
They thought of scolding him,
Even spanking him black and blue,
But Danny glowed and gurgled,
And they didn'nt have a clue what to do.
Surely the time will come,
When to go to sleep he must,
They decided to wait it out,
In this hope and trust.
But our dear Danny,
Simply refused to play ball,
He glowed and gurgled far into the night,
And even crawled round the hall.
Exhausted from their daily jobs,
Slowly Mary began to listlessly doze,
Lying on the sofa,
She was soon snoring through her nose.
And our dear friend Pete,
Languished on his rocking chair,
Reading a book that now lay on his chest,
To wake him you wouldn't dare.
Danny the insomniac,
Saw his parents in slumber very deep
And now since the whole house was quiet.
Decided the time had come to sleep.
So now to the end of my story we reach,
And to the moral of my tale,
Every young parent wanting a family to make,
Must not allow children to stay awake.
They must put all their children early to bed,
When they want to do things flirty,
And remember that your parents you must not mock,
Because you went to bed latest by seven thirty.
Biswajit Basu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Early to Bed by Biswajit Basu )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(3rd April 19sixty)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra
- Jadavpur And The Adda of Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- O Governor-Chancellor, I Am A Jadavpuria.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Jadavpur Campus, The Naxal And His Love .., Bijay Kant Dubey