Early to Bed
Pete was on the phone,
Mary scrubbed the floor clean,
Lil Danny sucked his thumbs,
A normal domestic scene.
Or so it would appear,
But the undercurrents of tension were emphatic,
As Mary and Pete noted in dismay,
That Danny was temporarily insomniatic.
A torrid night they had planned,
Erotic in extreme,
And here was this horrible boy,
Turning divine pleasures into a distant dream.
They thought of scolding him,
Even spanking him black and blue,
But Danny glowed and gurgled,
And they didn'nt have a clue what to do.
Surely the time will come,
When to go to sleep he must,
They decided to wait it out,
In this hope and trust.
But our dear Danny,
Simply refused to play ball,
He glowed and gurgled far into the night,
And even crawled round the hall.
Exhausted from their daily jobs,
Slowly Mary began to listlessly doze,
Lying on the sofa,
She was soon snoring through her nose.
And our dear friend Pete,
Languished on his rocking chair,
Reading a book that now lay on his chest,
To wake him you wouldn't dare.
Danny the insomniac,
Saw his parents in slumber very deep
And now since the whole house was quiet.
Decided the time had come to sleep.
So now to the end of my story we reach,
And to the moral of my tale,
Every young parent wanting a family to make,
Must not allow children to stay awake.
They must put all their children early to bed,
When they want to do things flirty,
And remember that your parents you must not mock,
Because you went to bed latest by seven thirty.
Biswajit Basu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Early to Bed by Biswajit Basu )
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)