John Henry Newman
Type of the West, and glorying in the name
More than in Faith's pure fame!
Oh. trust not crafty fort nor rock renowned
Earned upon hostile ground;
Wielding Trade's master-keys, at thy proud will
To lock or loose its waters, England! trust not still.
Dread thine own power! Since haughty Babel's prime,
High towers have been man's crime.
Since her hoar age, when the huge moat lay bare,
Strongholds have been man's snare.
Thy nest is in the crags; ah, refuge frail!
Mad counsel in its hour, or traitors, will prevail.
He who scanned Sodom for His righteous men
Still spares thee for thy ten;
But, should vain tongues the Bride of Heaven defy,
He will not pass thee by;
For, as earth's kings welcome their spotless guest,
So gives He them by turn, to suffer or be blest.
John Henry Newman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (England by John Henry Newman )
- Their faces وجوههم, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Blessings I Received, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Hiking Limerick, Mr. Spock
- Ferguson?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Winter Sky, Spiritwind Wood
- I Want to Sing with Willie, Kim Barney
- Psalm 075, Forrest Hainline
- My Mother's Memory, Jessica Gabanyic
- 20 meters from the river Bollin, Mark Heathcote
- More, Waltz For Zizi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Two Hearts Beat as One, Goodness Tchibueze
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)