Who am I to speak of this?
Certainly have no degree,
No résumé to teach of bliss,
Or divine words to decree.
Seeking for the knowing one,
Years he’s passed me by,
Sunrise through the setting sun,
He must have heard my cry.
Who am I to think this thought?
Why not just stand in line,
All the waste I’ve been taught,
It’s not in my design.
Seeking for the knowing one
With wisdom in his heart,
To listen to his gifted tongue,
His knowledge to impart.
Who am I to find my truth?
Or wonder why we’re here?
Somewhere in my tender youth,
I learned of mortal fear.
Quit seeking for the knowing one,
For he’s buried deep inside,
Waiting for my life undone,
To complete and coincide.
Who am I to accept myself?
The way I’ve always been,
Endless books stacked on the shelf,
Couldn’t tell me what’s within.
Those seeking for the knowing one,
Might find a better way,
Tomorrow’s endless rerun,
Leads them farther yet astray.
Who am I to give such advice?
I’ll tell my story true,
Always something there to entice,
No substance to ensue.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Enlightenment by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- Cowgirl, R. T. Smith
- Confession in a Booth at the Hollow Log .., R. T. Smith
- A Local Doc, over Rocky Lunchtime Bourbo.., R. T. Smith
- Please Know, Michael McParland
- Pity Party of One -or- I Never Got His N.., Joseph James Breunig 3rd
- She, Divya Singh
- The Garden, William Jay Smith
- The Flight, William Jay Smith
- Touch the Air Softly, William Jay Smith
- Dachshunds, William Jay Smith
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)